New York State Changes Course And Will Now Apply For Trumps Extended $300 Unemployment Benefits (Here’s When You Should Expect Your Money)

by Anne McCloy Friday, August 21st 2020

ALBANY NY (WRGB) – CBS 6 has just learned New York State has changed course and will apply for federal funds needed to extend unemployment benefits for struggling New Yorkers.

Trump Officially Signs New Order

Division of Budget Director Robert Mujica provided CBS 6’s Anne McCloy this statement confirming the news Friday evening:

“Now that the federal government has blinked and will no longer make states provide funding they do not have, New York State will apply for the Lost Wages Assistance program. As Governor Cuomo has said, politics does not impact policy — especially during a pandemic — and if New Yorkers are in need, this administration will do everything we can to support them. But make no mistake, this does not absolve Washington from doing its job, and they must pass a comprehensive aid package that provides a stable extension of unemployment benefits, repeals the SALT cap and supports local and state governments. Anything else would simply be unacceptable.”

The relief comes after New York Governor Andrew Cuomo told a Rochester news station earlier this week that New York would not apply for the FEMA funding to make the extended benefits possible.

President Trump’s executive order had states chipping in an extra $100/week so that the unemployed could get a total of $400 extra per week.

This move by NYS, would make it so New Yorkers could get an extra $300 per week from the feds.

We are told there is no exact timeline on when New Yorkers would receive the funding right now and that NYS will not be providing the extra $100 per week due to a $14 billion deficit, as Cuomo stated earlier this week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *